IV. Upaali Vagga
The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha
X. The Book of the Tens
Translated from the Pali by Bhikkhu Bodhi.
© 2012 Bhikkhu Bodhi
Boston, MA 02115
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Based on a work at http://www.wisdompubs.org/book/numerical-discourses-buddha
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.wisdompubs.org/terms-use.
"A bhikkhu who possesses ten qualities, Upaali, may give full ordination.
(1) Here, a bhikkhu is virtuous ... he trains in them.
(2) He has learnt much ... and penetrated well by view.
(3) Both Paatimokkha s have been well transmitted to him in detail, well analyzed, well mastered, well determined in terms of the rules and their detailed explication.
(4) He is able to look after a patient or to get someone else to look after him.
(5) He is able to eliminate one's dissatisfaction or to get someone else to eliminate it.
(6) He is able to use the Dhamma to dispel regrets that might arise [in his pupils].
(7) He is able to dissuade them, by way of the Dhamma, from erroneous views that have arisen.
(8) He is able to encourage them in the higher virtuous behavior.
(9) He is able to encourage them in the higher mind.
(10) He is able to encourage them in the higher wisdom.
A bhikkhu who possesses these ten qualities may give full ordination."